What to Buy in May 2015 – Shopping Tips
MAY Shopping Trends (via FatWallet.com)
May brings a surplus of opportunities to save money, especially on big ticket purchases and summer vacation bookings, if you know where and when to make purchases. Recently, there’s been 50% increase in Mother’s Day spending (upwards of $21.7 billion in 2013–NRF) and Memorial Day sales feature a week long of deep discounting on items like mattress sets, large appliances, furniture and high-priced outdoor living products like grills and patio sets. Add in primetime for vacation booking, and May has established itself as one of the higher spending months in the first half of the year.
May signals the “50 days to summer mark” that officially kicks off vacation booking season, when online travel retailers and online travel agents start pushing deals and savings on summer vacation packages, hotels, vacation rentals, car rental discounts and local deals and coupons for activities and events. FatWallet’s annual vacation spending survey reports that 8 in 10 Americans will go on vacation, with almost 60% taking vacations this summer – See full results and INFOGRAPHIC. (*TNS Global).
The study also reported that vacation bookings made with mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) will increase by more than 50% this year. This should spark additional savings for online and mobile shoppers as consumers move their booking behaviors to the wireless world. Smart shoppers will take advantage of rewards, especially cash back, where FatWallet members can add savings from more than 100 travel sites and take advantage of exclusive cash back increases of up to 8% from Priceline, Expedia and many more.
Here’s when to shop, and what to buy in MAY:
Mother’s Day Sales – not just for moms:
In the past few years, the trend has been that moms want a day off, stress-free time and to be able to spend time with family, hopefully outdoors. That’s where local deals from sites like Groupon, Living Social, Amazon Local, etc. can really make for the perfect storm of a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift that offers deep savings. Whether that be a spa day, dinner and a movie, or more adventurous activities, local deals are a smart go to.
- Flowers & Gifts: flowers, candy, books, crafts & supplies, jewelry
- Home & Garden: cookware/kitchenware, pots, plants, tools, feeders, outdoor decor
- Gift Cards: restaurants, retail, craft/fabric stores, electronics
- Local Deals: dinner and drinks, spas, events, activities and getaways
- Tech: tablets, smartphones, laptops, cameras
Tip: Not sure what to get mom…Gift cards let moms go shopping for “free”. FatWallet features dozens of stores offering Mother’s Day discounts on e-gift cards–many with additional cash back savings, including Starbucks cards, iTunes gift cards and American Express.
Sports and Outdoors Deals – will run amuck:
- Sports: golf, cycling, baseball, athletic apparel/shoes
- Outdoors: fishing, cycling, running, camping, swimming, hiking
Tip: Many sports equipment items have trade-in value, especially golf clubs, bicycles and even some fishing gear which can save you up to 20% when upgrading (if you’ve taken care of your stuff).
Memorial Day Sales – shop them early to nab better stock:
This holiday has become the official kick-off of summer sales (or spring clearance – take your pick). That said, it is a premium time to grab discounts on big ticket items for the home, especially these listed below:
- Home Furnishings: mattresses, furniture, bedroom sets, patio sets
- Appliances: complete kitchen sets, refrigerators, freezers, washers & dryers, stoves/ranges
- Clothing: kick-off of Summer Clothing Deals collides with Spring Fashion Clearance
- Travel: Summer vacation bookings and hotel specials for a holiday weekend getaway
Tip: Like Black Friday, Memorial Day sales now start early with some a full week ahead–this provides those with holiday plans a chance to cash in on this big savings event.
Sales for Graduation and Wedding Gifts
Grads and newlyweds are celebrating new beginnings and need stuff. Retail sales events leading up to Memorial Day often feature savings on these items and many top stores will increase cash back to help you save more when purchasing gifts.
- Apparel and Accessories: clothing, shoes, suits, dresses, jewelry and watches
- Electronics: laptops, tablets, smartphones, HDTVs, wireless gadgets
- Home and Kitchen: small and large appliances, decor, bath and bedding
Tip: Look for huge Memorial Day discounts from retailers that stock these items.